Tuesday, February 26, 2008

To place your post, click on the word "Comment" beside the icon of a pencil at the end of these instructions.

7 comments:

whatbut said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sam Greco said...

Samantha Greco- 803-489-087

I also had trouble finding Adam and Eve's stories, Book 10 doesn't have much to do with Eve I found. It was really confusing but this is what I came up with.

Adam was created and slowly had to realize everything for himself. He started realizing he had senses and started observing his own intelligence. He began to feel and things started making him happy. He decides there is a God when he started thinking about where the other creature came from. The difference between him and the other creatures were he could stand upright, he could speak and he could think. Every other creature came in two and Adam became lonely so God created Eve for him. Eve as well as learning for herself had Adam to teach her so she didn't really get to realize everything for herself. Adam had no one at first. Adam became so in love with Eve that he became a slightly inferior to her. He would do anything for her. Eve sees a reflection of herself and realizes how beautiful she is, which is why Adam is so weak when it comes to her. Eve starts to become in love with herself when she realizes all of this. She wants to prove her strength and wants to split up with Adam and he says it is too dangerous to split up. She convinces him to split up and they go their separate ways. She runs into Satan and he woos her by telling her how beautiful she is. Satan convinces her to go to the forbidden tree of knowledge. She eats the fruit and now is doomed. Adam finds her and he eats the fruit because if she is doomed he wants to be doomed too. Both Adam and Eve are given free will and both choose to do what they want with it. Eve uses her free will in more of a selfish way. Adam uses his at first for what he thinks is right and then for Eve, his love for her is too strong. Adam does what he thinks is going to be the best for everyone and Eve starts to do what is best for her. She knows Adam will do anything for her.


Robinson Cursoe was teaching a native man about God and the Devil. Robinson was a true believer of God and so was Adam. They did not question God they just believed. Eve on the other hand thought for herself. She chose to try the apple, even thought God had forbidden it. The native man, Friday, also thought for himself. He did not just believe in what Robinson was telling him, he questioned him. He asked, “If God is superior to Satan then why doesn’t God kill him?” Robinson didn’t answer right away and gave it some thought. This shows that Friday’s question made him think and question God a little bit. The same with Adam when he chose Eve over what God told him to do. Adam chose to take Eve’s side and put her first. Adam ate the forbidden fruit because Eve did when he should have obeyed what God had said. In Robinson Cursoe it says that Satan had access to their passions and affections and would use those so they would run upon their own destruction by their own choice. That is the same as Satan telling Eve how beautiful she was to convince her to eat the forbidden fruit. In both stories the characters are given freewill and their own choice to do what they want.

Francois Mulder said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Francois Mulder said...

Adam and Eve - Paradise Lost by John Milton

Both Adam and Eve are portrayed in a functional relationship, not only with each other, but also with God. Both these relationships are personal and direct. God, Adam and Eve are physical beings living in the Garden of Eden, free of sin.
Milton depicts both Adam and Eve, each other’s equals, as individuals that posses personality, passion and sex.

Adam, being created first, seems to be more knowledgeable. He is a ruler and a leader. “Adam is formed for contemplation and valor, a spirit dedicated to God only.” (This eventually changes as his obsession with increases.). Eve, his contrasting compliment, “is formed for softness and sweet attractive grace and for worship of the God inside of Adam.”(Larousse Dictionary of Literary Characters, from Beowulf to Billy Bathgate.p4, 1994)

Milton emphasizes that Adam and Eve are dependant upon each other within their mutual relationship. Their relationship seems to change as Adam becomes progressively infatuated with Eve and her beauty. Eve to becomes infatuated with herself and her beauty.
As I bent down to look, just opposite
A shape within the watery gleam appeared,
Bending to look on me: Started back,
It started back; but pleased I soon returned
Pleased it returned with answering looks
Of sympathy and love: There I had fixed
Mine eyes till now, and pined with vain desire.
(J. Milton. Paradise Lost.)
This excerpt happens shortly after Eve is “born”. There is a definite difference between her reaction when she “discovers” herself and Adams reaction when he “discovers” himself. Adam was in awe with how intricately he was created. His awe immediately inspired him to wonder and think about how much greater and more wonderful his creator must be to accomplish such a great work. We can clearly see that Adam becomes God oriented shortly after his creation. In contrast with Adam, eve became so obsessed with her beauty and, like Satan, is in danger of excessive interest in herself and her appearance (almost narcissistic). Another difference can be seen in how Adam loses a sense of his Self due to his obsession with Eve and Eve seem to be very self absorbed and very much aware of her Self. Eve still remains a good wife and subject for Adam despite the flaws in her character.
Eve respects and trusts Adams authority but also seems to be self-sufficient and very independent. Milton often portrays Adam with heroic qualities. He is a leader and only dependant on God. His obsession with Eve shifts his sole dependency on God towards a relationship where he is dependant on Eve.
Eve’s independence on the other hand seems to temporarily increase even more after she gave in to the temptation of eating the fruit. It seems as if Eve takes on a temporary deceptive heroic stance, like Adam did before, in presenting Adam with the forbidden fruit. Eve seems to be taking a leadership role, even though it will inevitably lead to their banishment from the garden. Adam’s dependency on Eve becomes a sort of power that Eve has over Adam. Adam, aware that his loved one has given in to temptation and that she is destined to be banished, out of love for her, decides to eat the fruit and rather be banished with her than to live without her.

Neither Adam nor Eve wanted to take the blame for their decisions. Adam blamed Eve and Eve blamed the serpent.

Eve is not to blame for Adam’s decision and the serpent is not to blame for Eve’s. God’s ultimate gift of freewill and choice determines that decisions and choices made lies solely with the individual making them.

Muhammad Sid-Ahmad said...

Thanks Sam and Francois for your comments. I'll post Eve's speech first and then Adam's (though those who were in class received a copy of Adam's speech). The popular sites are Online-literature and Spark Notes.

I. EVE'S SPEECH (BOOK IV OF PARADISE LOST)
from http://www.online-literature.com

That day I oft remember, when from sleep
I first awaked, and found myself reposed
Under a shade on flowers, much wondering where
And what I was, whence thither brought, and how.
Not distant far from thence a murmuring sound
Of waters issued from a cave, and spread
Into a liquid plain, then stood unmoved
Pure as the expanse of Heaven; I thither went
With unexperienced thought, and laid me down
On the green bank, to look into the clear
Smooth lake, that to me seemed another sky.
As I bent down to look, just opposite
A shape within the watery gleam appeared,
Bending to look on me: I started back,
It started back; but pleased I soon returned,
Pleased it returned as soon with answering looks
Of sympathy and love: There I had fixed
Mine eyes till now, and pined with vain desire,
Had not a voice thus warned me; 'What thou seest,
'What there thou seest, fair Creature, is thyself;
'With thee it came and goes: but follow me,
'And I will bring thee where no shadow stays
'Thy coming, and thy soft embraces, he
'Whose image thou art; him thou shalt enjoy
'Inseparably thine, to him shalt bear
'Multitudes like thyself, and thence be called
'Mother of human race.' What could I do,
But follow straight, invisibly thus led?
Till I espied thee, fair indeed and tall,
Under a platane; yet methought less fair,
Less winning soft, less amiably mild,
Than that smooth watery image: Back I turned;
Thou following cryedst aloud, 'Return, fair Eve;
'Whom flyest thou? whom thou flyest, of him thou art,
'His flesh, his bone; to give thee being I lent
'Out of my side to thee, nearest my heart,
'Substantial life, to have thee by my side
'Henceforth an individual solace dear;
'Part of my soul I seek thee, and thee claim
'My other half:' With that thy gentle hand
Seised mine: I yielded;and from that time see
How beauty is excelled by manly grace,
And wisdom, which alone is truly fair.
So spake our general mother, and with eyes
Of conjugal attraction unreproved,
And meek surrender, half-embracing leaned
On our first father; half her swelling breast
Naked met his, under the flowing gold
Of her loose tresses hid: he in delight
Both of her beauty, and submissive charms,
Smiled with superiour love, as Jupiter
On Juno smiles, when he impregns the clouds
That shed Mayflowers; and pressed her matron lip
With kisses pure: Aside the Devil turned
For envy; yet with jealous leer malign
Eyed them askance, and to himself thus plained.
Sight hateful, sight tormenting! thus these two,
Imparadised in one another's arms,
The happier Eden, shall enjoy their fill
Of bliss on bliss; while I to Hell am thrust,
Where neither joy nor love, but fierce desire,
Among our other torments not the least,
Still unfulfilled with pain of longing pines.

II. ADAM'S SPEECH (BOOK VIII OF PARADISE LOST)
from http://www.online-literature.com

For Man to tell how human life began
Is hard; for who himself beginning knew
Desire with thee still longer to converse
Induced me. As new waked from soundest sleep,
Soft on the flowery herb I found me laid,
In balmy sweat; which with his beams the sun
Soon dried, and on the reeking moisture fed.
Straight toward Heaven my wondering eyes I turned,
And gazed a while the ample sky; till, raised
By quick instinctive motion, up I sprung,
As thitherward endeavouring, and upright
Stood on my feet: about me round I saw
Hill, dale, and shady woods, and sunny plains,
And liquid lapse of murmuring streams; by these,
Creatures that lived and moved, and walked, or flew;
Birds on the branches warbling; all things smiled;
With fragrance and with joy my heart o'erflowed.
Myself I then perused, and limb by limb
Surveyed, and sometimes went, and sometimes ran
With supple joints, as lively vigour led:
But who I was, or where, or from what cause,
Knew not; to speak I tried, and forthwith spake;
My tongue obeyed, and readily could name
Whate'er I saw. Thou Sun, said I, fair light,
And thou enlightened Earth, so fresh and gay,
Ye Hills, and Dales, ye Rivers, Woods, and Plains,
And ye that live and move, fair Creatures, tell,
Tell, if ye saw, how I came thus, how here?--
Not of myself;--by some great Maker then,
In goodness and in power pre-eminent:
Tell me, how may I know him, how adore,
From whom I have that thus I move and live,
And feel that I am happier than I know.--
While thus I called, and strayed I knew not whither,
From where I first drew air, and first beheld
This happy light; when, answer none returned,
On a green shady bank, profuse of flowers,
Pensive I sat me down: There gentle sleep
First found me, and with soft oppression seised
My droused sense, untroubled, though I thought
I then was passing to my former state
Insensible, and forthwith to dissolve:
When suddenly stood at my head a dream,
Whose inward apparition gently moved
My fancy to believe I yet had being,
And lived: One came, methought, of shape divine,
And said, 'Thy mansion wants thee, Adam; rise,
'First Man, of men innumerable ordained
'First Father! called by thee, I come thy guide
'To the garden of bliss, thy seat prepared.'
So saying, by the hand he took me raised,
And over fields and waters, as in air
Smooth-sliding without step, last led me up
A woody mountain; whose high top was plain,
A circuit wide, enclosed, with goodliest trees
Planted, with walks, and bowers; that what I saw
Of Earth before scarce pleasant seemed.

Muhammad Sid-Ahmad said...

MUHAMMAD ON SAM GRECO'S COMMENTARY
(MARCH 7, 08)

Excellent (and you are right, Book X is not directly related). Your comments on Adam, Eve, Crusoe and Friay are really good. Here are the strengths of your commentary (with some suggested interpretations):

1. You follow Adam and Eve's stories closely.
Adam is aware of his senses and becomes happy. He compares himself with other creatures etc.

Eve, as you note, focuses on her reflection in the water. You are right to (later) to say that she is portrayed as selfish, focusing on her own image. She finds herself more beautiful than Adam, who is portrayed as her guide; his voice calls her away from her reflection.

You are also right to point out that Eve's insistence that she and Adam split up should be interpreted as her attempt to prove herself. The result of this, as you suggest, is that Satan, in Paradise Lost, is able to tempt her. This suggests, in the way she is portrayed, that Eve is unable to withstand temptation. Her 'independence' is portrayed this way perhaps to suggest that she does not have the same (a) mental powers and (b) will that Adam has.

Adam's mental powers are shown in his story, where he is able to think for himself, reach conclusions on the existence of God, and get into a meditative (mystical) state. Once he is guided by God in this mystical state, Adam resolves (will) to keep his promise to God, not to eat from the forbidden fruit.

Your comments, Sam, on Robinson Crusoe are intersting too. Robinson Cursoe and Adam are compared, in termsof not queationing their faith. You mention that Eve tinks for herself.

The interesting thing about Crusoe's faith, however, is that it is not based on reason; it is a bit unlike Adam's in this aspect. It is, however, like Adam's in terms of feeling God's power. Adam dissolves in a meditative state while Crusoe, a shipwreck, finds faith in reading the Bible.

As for Friday, your comments about the 'natives' in general are spot on. They can be compared to Eve, unthinking and under the sway of their passions, which seem to be Satan's temptation.

You have made an important point about Friday. He thinks for himself, i.e. his belief is based on his use of reason.

He is therefore unlike the other natives.

Many interpretations of Crusoe focus on the White man/native relationship in terms of early colonialism. Our class' focus on a theme important to the time, given the author Daniel Defoe's knowledge and love of Paradise Lost, would seem to suggest another theme, which you talk about here.

Also, many interpretations focus on the close relationship between two men in the island, suggesting undertones of a homosexual relationshiop.

The theme of knowledge of God - and the different ways to that knowledge - would suggest that such a conversation between Crusoe and Friday could not have admitted a female native

This is because at the time, and under the influence of works like Paradise Lost, a female native, like Eve, would not use her reason and because of her, lets say, vanity ( Eve looks at her reflection) and weakness ( she is tempted by Satan). A female native would not be the best companion to discuss this theme with Crusoe.

When I refer to contmporary seventeenth and eighteenth century ideas, I should mention the Quakers, who believed all people, including pagan natives, had the light within. The light can be described as the light of faith or the light of Christ. But Quakers referred to an earlier (medieval) tradition or debate over whether virtuous pagans, who use reason to live a virtuous life, can attain salvation. Quakers replaced reason with light.

These issues were hotly debated in early-modern England.

Muhammad Sid-Ahmad said...

MUHAMMAD ON FRANCOIS MULDER'S COMMENTARY
(March 7, 2008)

Again, a very interesting posting, especially the comparisons between Adam and Eve. Your comments are really good.

Considering the interesting comments you make on Adam and Eve, I really would have liked to see your comparison with Crusoe and Friday, and between the latter two.

Your beginning and ending are interesting, espcially the conclusion. Milton does portray Adam and Eve as individuals, with personality and passion(s). Does Milton also hold the three of them responsible? I am not clear on this myself.

Yes, Adam is portrayed as a leader - or that he should be - while Eve complements - or should complement - him. One of hte dangers that a leader like Adam could fall into is the infatuation you describe with Eve's beauty. Eve on her part, as you and Sam note, is taken by her image in the water.

Your commentary, Francois, becomes really interesting when your comparison between Adam and Eve shows Adam's self discovery portrayed in terms of awe at his own creation and his dedication to his creator while Eve's self discover is more, as you say, narcicistic.

The second interesting comment you make or point you notice is the simiarlity between Eve and Satan. They both seem to be interested in themselves. I didn't notice this. While Satan cannot be redeemed though, Eve can, it is suggested, if she follows Adam's lead.

The point on Adam's heroic portrayal is interesting too. He seems to lose power as his dependece moves from God to Eve, with whom he is in love. That's why he eats the forbidden fruit. Yet it is hard to blame him as has had a long conversation with God on the need for a companion. Is this the result of arguing with God? When he requests this companion, Adam is not aware of his weakness.

Your comment on Eve's heriosm and leadership is even more interesting. It is, as you call it, "deceptively heroic" as she convinces Adam to eat from the forbidden fruit.

Adam's weakness and Eve's deceptive heroism suggest that their portrayal is a lesson that men should not follow their desires for women and should not follow their lead. Women should not be leaders.

Again, this is good commentary on Adam and Eve. I am curious to see what you could add, to Sam's commentary and my feedback, on Robinson Crusoe. You could add examples (quotations) of Crusoe, Friday and the other natives. You've provided some examples from Paradise Lost. Why not do the same for Crusoe?